- Basic Linux tutorials for beginner
- Linux basic concepts, installation and troubleshooting
- Linux administration
- Linux commands
- Linux network tutorials
- Linux security tutorials
- Linux software configuration
- Linux desktop tutorials for beginner
- Collection of Linux tips
- Windows basic tutorials
- Introduction to windows
- Windows pre-installation
- Windows Installation
- Windows xp desktop
- Log on for the first time
- Windows XP control panel
- Managing Folders in Windows XP
- Outlook Express Setup
- How to import address book in Outlook Express
- Import Ms Exchange inbox file(.pst) into Ms Outlook 2003
- Import Outlook Express email messages into Ms Outlook 2003
- How to mount and unmount usb drive (thumb drive) in Windows
- House keeping - Keep your Windows clean and tidy
- Windows basic tutorials
Submitted by jinlusuh on Tue, 01/29/2008 - 01:46
This is an example of step by step windows 2000 server installation:
1) Insert the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server CD ROM into your CD ROM drive.
2) Restart/reboot your computer. You will see a message similar to the figure below. Press any keyboard key to begin the installation.
3) Windows 2000 Setup will start reading the installation files in the CD ROM. If you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver, press F6. Otherwise, just wait until it finishes doing its job.
4) The introduction Windows 2000 Server Setup menu appears. Choose what you want to do from the option list. For now, press ENTER to set up Windows 2000.
5) You will see the Windows 2000 Licensing Agreement. Read and understand the agreement. To continue the installation, you have to agree, no other choice. So, press F8 if you agree and you will be taken to the next screen.
6) You will see a list similar to the figure below. If you follow my advice and already backup your important data, then, press D to delete the C: partition. This is your previous windows operating system. If this is a new hard disk drive, you will see the whole unpartitioned space.
7) Windows 2000 Server Setup will warn you about the partition you are trying to delete. If you are completely sure of what you are doing, press ENTER to delete the partition.
8) Again, the setup will ask for your confirmation. Press L to delete the partition. CAUTION: All data on this partition will be lost.
9) You will see the main menu again with unpartitioned space. Now, you may create a separate partition for your hard disk. At least two partitions, one for the windows operating system and another for your data. Press C to create a partition in the unpartitioned space.
10) Remove the default size by pressing backspace. Key in the first partition size (in MB). This partition will be use to install the operating system. If your hard disk space is larger than 10GB, I recommend you to give at least 8GB. Windows 2000 will need about 1.5GB of your hard disk space. You will need the extra space later to install office application, antivirus software, and others.
11) Click on the Unpartitioned space and press C to create another partition. This partition can be use to store your data.
12) The step is the same as before, so just repeat what you did just now. You can use the maximum size given by default or you can keep half of it for another partition. Whatever you do it's your choice. Press ENTER after you finish.
13) For this example, I have created two partitions. Click on the first partition which is C: partition to install Windows 2000 server and press ENTER to continue.
14) Now it's time to format the partition. There are two file system types, New Technology File System (NTFS) and File Allocation Table (FAT). For your information, the former is used by WinNT, Win2k and XP and the latter is used by Win9x. Choose the NTFS and press ENTER.
15) Windows 2000 Server Setup is formatting the C: partition.
16) When it's done, the installation files are being copied into the temporary folder in the hard disk drive.This folder will be remove after the installation is complete.
17) The copying process is complete. Press ENTER to restart your computer. The setup program will continue after you reboot.
18) After the computer restart, you will see the figure below. A familiar screen, isn't it? Do not press any key as this will result in the installation start once again. So, just leave it alone.
19) A few seconds later you will see Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Startup logo on screen.
20) The Windows 2000 Server Setup will continue the installation process.
21) Click next to continue the Windows 2000 Setup Wizard.
22) Now the win2k setup wizard is detecting and installing devices on your PC such as keyboard, mouse, display monitor and so on. Note that during this time, your screen may flicker for a few seconds.
23) Here you can customize win2k for different regions and languages. If you want to change the settings, click Customize...Then click Next after you finished.
24) Enter your full name and your organization or company. Click Next when you are done.
25) Type the Product Key in the text box. The Product Key is the 25-character on the sticker on win2k CD case. Make sure you key in the right characters because you can't continue the installation if it's wrong.
26) Choose the licensing mode that you want to use. Click Next to continue.
27) Give a name for your computer. After that choose a good password for the administrator account. Mix the password characters like this: P4ss12wOr%&D. Write down the password and keep it safe. You can't log into the windows if you forgot the password.
28) You can add or remove components of win2k here. The components have been selected by default. Don't worry if you not sure what the components are because you can always install or remove them later.
29) Here you can set the correct date and Time Zone for your windows computer. Click Next when you are done.
30) Now your computer is installing the networking components. This software allows you to connect to other computers, networks, and the Internet.
31) If you know what you are doing Win2k allows you to manually configure the networking components otherwise choose Typical setting and click next to continue.
32) If you are installing this computer in your office and you have a domain, then choose the second option. If you not sure choose the first option. You can always change this option later. Click Next when you finish.
33) Now the setup program is installing windows 2000 components. This will take some times. You can get your coffee now if you want.
34) The setup program is completing its final tasks. Just sit back and relaks. Click Next when it's done.
35) When you see this screen, it means that you have successfully completed windows 2000 installation. Remove your CD installer then, click Finish.
36) Microsoft Windows 2000 Server is starting. Smile ;-)
37) Once again, Microsoft Windows 2000 Server startup logo on screen.
38) Message Windows is starting up on screen. Here you go...
39) Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys to login as an Administrator.
40) Key in Administrator in the User name text box. Press Tab to move to the password text box and key in your password. Click OK or press ENTER.